Monday, October 1, 2012

Back to School

Well if sitting with a group of people in uncomfortable chairs taking notes while someone else speaks and demonstrates cooking techniques at the front of the room for five hours, then yes, I am back in school...for another four Saturdays anyway.

And why am I back in school? Well, I had been wanting to do a refresher in cooking/baking techniques, and this 6 week cooking course, offered by one of Jamaica's food & nutrition experts, popped up. So I jumped at the chance. While I knew the reason for doing the course, I also knew my challenge would be making and or tasting foods with ingredients I am either allergic/intolerant to, or for lifestyle reasons do not consume. And boy oh boy did those same ingredients show up! I'm talking vegetable oil, flour, margarine, milk and the cheese...basic ingredients found in most Jamaican households. And while I grew up with said ingredients, I live true to my own beliefs and preferences. As such, because these things are being used, I will in no way look down or condemn or chastise the instructors for doing so or not participate. What I did do, after my first class, was ask the instructors about possible substitutes for certain ingredients, highlight allergies and ask for understanding if I chose not to taste things that were prepared. They were ok with that and so with an open mind and an excitement to learn, I showed up for week 2 for breakfast and cocktail ideas. I can say with certainty that I picked up a few new tricks, learnt a few and was reminded of things I already knew. My only issue was standing in shoes that I dont wear often for 5 hours...not nice!

Now to figure out how I'm going to make the same food using much healthier ingredients. I will certainly enjoy trying, so long as I don't burn anything...lol.

Disclaimer: Any food posts made in here will be related to this course and is likely to not be of my typical variety as posted on my other blog.  

Breakfast & Cocktail ideas - plantain porridge, ackee & saltfish/callaloo & sausage cups, mandarin liver, sausage & beans, mackerel & green banana rundown, fried dumplings, stamp & go and toast.

1 comment: