"I hate pizza"...said NO ONE EVER! I mean really! Who doesn't like pizza with its delicious toppings and all that meltingly hot gooey cheese? Very few people I can assure you. And those who don't its for only three reasons I can think of, they are either intolerant/allergic to cheese/gluten, it doesn't fit their healthy lifestyle requirements or they've had some horrific experience early on in life with pizza. The latter is quickly cured I imagine with some tricks or simple psychology, i.e. mask it as something else using different yet similarly tasty ingredients like deconstructed pizza bites (crackers + pieces of cheese + meat/sausage). All the ingredients on a platter may seem like just snacks to the pizza-hater though the profile is the same and they are none the wiser. The former 2 cases now require a little more delicacy and certainly not so easy to resolve. It does take some experimenting, a bit of creativity and effort to come up with the right mix of ingredients to give you the same experience without the unwarranted side effects or unnecessary calories.
This has been my quest. How to make the perfect pizza CRUST and I believe I've finally found it! It involves using cauliflower rice (see recipe here), drying it out with a dish towel (or a few bounty paper towels) and just like that a nice dry, crispy like pizza crust and all it takes is 5 mins to prepare, tops! I didn't come up with that method by the way so I have to give credit where its due. I found the step while browsing the Detoxinista's website. Its no different from the method I currently use to make low calorie pizza crust except there is an additional step which I've only been too lazy to try before. I decided not to be this morning and wow, what a huge difference removing all that excess water does. Don't believe me? Try it for yourself.
Crust Recipe (makes 1 large serving or 2 smaller ones):
1.5 cups cauliflower rice
1/2 egg
1 tbsp ground flaxseed (optional)
1oz crumbled goats cheese (optional)
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
After making rice, use a dishtowel or several thick paper towels to squeeze out excess water. You WILL want to do this.
In a bowl add egg, salt, pepper or any other herbs and 1/2 of cheese to rice then combine thoroughly with hands. Mixture will be wet but don't worry it will hold.
Form crust using your hands, on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, making the edges slightly thicker to give it that pizza look. Using baking/parchment paper IS important for keeping the crust dry and crispy.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until crust has browned and is firm.
After making rice, use a dishtowel or several thick paper towels to squeeze out excess water. You WILL want to do this.
In a bowl add egg, salt, pepper or any other herbs and 1/2 of cheese to rice then combine thoroughly with hands. Mixture will be wet but don't worry it will hold.
Form crust using your hands, on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, making the edges slightly thicker to give it that pizza look. Using baking/parchment paper IS important for keeping the crust dry and crispy.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until crust has browned and is firm.
Remove from oven, add toppings of your choice then place back into the oven
![]() |
| Thin Crust Loaded Pizza |



No comments:
Post a Comment