Sunday, February 9, 2014

Green Juice Pulp Crackers

I admit to being a lazy cook, I say it often enough. But, one thing you aren't likely to hear me say is "I will not to try something new", even IF it means doing a little (and I stress little) extra work. And so it is with this recipe. I follow this page on Facebook and Mell (the creator) shares a ton of not just vegan/raw food recipes but lots of information and facts as well. A few days ago, she posted a recipe for raw burgers which she made using the 'pulp' from juicing her carrots (she made a carrot cake from using the pulp that looks AMAZING). So of course I go investigating and saw the 'Raw Pulp' crackers you tube video. I thought to myself this is just genius, yes I may be late to the raw foods party, sue me. But to me I saw an incentive to actually 'juice' more since I prefer blending my green smoothies, naturally because it takes less time and makes no waste. 


So this morning I set out to do some juicing as part of my meal prep for the week and embarked on trying my very first batch of 'green juice pulp crackers'. A crispier cracker I imagine I would get, and Mell said as much, if I used a dehydrator. But since I did not have one, then the good ole oven had to do the job. 

Ingredients
2 cups raw pulp
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sage
1/4 tsp turmeric root (this is a strong coloured spice so use less)
1/2 cup flaxseed meal
2-8tbsp water
*seasonings can be anything you like, these were just my favourite choices.


Using the extract from your green juice concoction, about 2 cups, and your favourite seasonings, mix in a food processor fitted with the S-blade, until all combined. Depending on the seasonings used, the colour of the pulp (mixture) may change. While the processor is going, slowly add flaxseed meal and 2-8 tbsp of water. How watery your pulp already is will determine the amount of water used. Ultimately you want a smooth paste like consistency rather than a runny mess. 


Once pasty dough forms, line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spread mixture onto it, using a spatula until it forms a thin sheet of green. Using the spatula, score sheet into as many squares as desired. Place in  325 degree F oven for 30 minutes.


Remove from oven once all squares are crispy-ish and dry. The thinner the sheet the crispier it will be. However if some still come out not as dry, transfer them to a baking rack, flipping the soft side up, and return to the oven for an additional 10-15 minutes.


And just like that you will end up with a crispier cracker. Its not like the crackers you grew up on but it does well for being a healthy option for those of us watching what we eat. 


I had it with some tuna, lemon juice and pepper. Simple but tasty and filling.

No comments:

Post a Comment