Now as we Jamaicans were preparing for the much anticipated (yet drawn out) elections, mother nature decided to step in and add some fuel to the fire..henceforth came Hurricane Dean. And like so many other before him, Jamaicans expected him to make a complete turnaround and head for some other mass of land to cause destruction. However, Dean had plans for us! And while he did not hit us directly, he left in his wake many houses torn apart by the 145mph winds, mudslides, fallen utility poles, or flood waters! And as is expected, many of the communities who we all knew were in flood prone or areas previously devasted by hurricanes/storms of lesser value, suffered the same if not worst fates!
Take Caribbean Terrace for instance, out in Old Harbour! Even a 30ft sea wall, had it been built, could NOT have prevented the 30ft waves from crashing in and taking with it all in its path back to its murky depths in the sea! I am however, quite impressed with the citiziens of that community who having already suffered enough from Ivan, have demanded that they be left alone to start picking up the pieces of their lives! I can't even begin to imagine how much this has affected them and their livelihood, I can only empathize with them and pray to the one above for his guidance as they try to mend their broken houses, belongings and their hearts (since many have put much of their life into the investment.
My little experience with Dean was exactly dat, a litte one! Thankfully, the only issue I had to deal with were the mosquitoes and the lack of electricity! And while I lay in my bed, which i had moved to the living room because i sealed the bedroom windows shut to stop any water from seeping in, waiting for the rains to come and teh winds to blow, the only excitement that came my way was a dish being ripped from its stand and blown (how far I don't know), thrown like a flying saucer in a space movie!! The wind howled like a whale and the rains came in spurts!
But with this state of emergency and the postponed elections we have been thrown in limbo yet again! Wid d trigga ready armed forces right now and Maxine and Portia a fight ova election date, we are in quite a state...lolololol! Worse wid d hurricane season NOT yet over, we may have others to worry about...and dem a fight!! We have children to send back to school, more importantly we will have children going to schools that have NOT YET been prepared or even BUILT...and dem a fight!!! Bwoy oh, bwoy I thought a woman ready fi run dis country but me haffi concede still that man or woman, we weren't even READY to be an independent state the way things are happening! I am not for any one party, but I am for change. I am however just not certain that either of these political parties can provide that change, either from the view of giving the ppl now what was promised to them before, or from the view that reform is necessary in order for any changes to be seen and so the course of action must change! I unfortunatley like so many other people stand on the fence!
But we continue to wait and see the outcome of it all is! In the meantime I wish all those who suffered more than just loss of electricity and water, a safe and hopeful recovery! My prayers are with you all!
No comments:
Post a Comment