Thursday, January 31, 2013

Beyond The 21DSD

I am still in awe that 21 days of sugar less days and nights (aka 21 Day Sugar Detox/21DSD) came and went by so quickly that I didn't even catch that it was Day 31 until someone said "Can you believe tomorrow is Feb 1?" Eeek! 

Yea, yea Shanique, we get it, you've done 31 days of the sugar detox, whoop-tee-doo (eyes rolling)! So what?! Well, truth be told, the extra 10 days proved quite different and highlighted just how much doing anything drastic or for a quick fix, can easily backfire if you aren't clear of your reasons.

You know how some people do well on regimen when they have to account to other people for it? I am one of those persons. That's why I had a coach for all my competition preps, they kept me in line and were my other pairs of eyes. Receiving the daily 21DSD emails and having the 21DSD support group on FB where you checked in your day and level, how you were doing etc was my hip checker during the 21 days. When the 21 days officially ended (on Jan 21), I stopped checking the page to see what others were up to and all that. I didn't however stop eliminating sugar and processed foods. But what started to happen was, the voice that would pop up when I'm stressed or not having a great day, starting to get back its bearings. Its almost like it was saying, "ok, Shanique, you've had your fun, now enough of this nonsense!" I found myself on one occasion when super hungry, walking down the chips isle in the supermarket to pick up almonds, the voice shouted at me "why don't you pick up a few of the plantain chips Shanique? you've been good so far, no one will know." I kid you not! It was funny, cause I swear I wanted to respond "shut up", but figured that had I done so people would have thought I was going mad...lol!

But the point of me telling that story is because, often times, when you go on a path of change for yourself, it should not be just about a quick 'start' and an 'end' date. The start date is just that, a start. But the real work is ongoing, is something you constantly have to do, doesn't have an end date and the results aren't likely to be quick. No doubt the temptation to return to old habits will always, and I repeat, always pop up in one form or another. But knowing what you are after over the long term, and having constant support and channels for motivation are key in helping you stay the course. It will not be easy, and I have proven that and not just with this detox, but one thing I am certain of is, it sure as hell is worth any perceived sacrifices. I for one am feeling great, except for the case of exhaustion which hit me this week - apparently my energizer bunny routine started to smoke at the wheels when I started to sleep less and work more the past 10 days. I intend to continue feeling good, so I ordered myself a full rest day tomorrow, no work, no workout, no play...nothing! Let's see if a full 12 hours of sleep can help me shake this 4 day headache and if 3 1/2 gallons of water can get me feeling normal again. And...let's see how much crow I can make those voices in my head eat as we head right into February!  

Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment