Friday, February 1, 2013

Creamy Pumpkin Soup


Ever have nights when all you'd like to do is curl up in your couch with a hot bowl of soup even though its 90+ degrees outside and there isn't a lick of breeze? No? Well nether do I, but for some reason that was me today. Lingering effects of a full day of rest I guess. But rather than go out and buy, which is what I was tempted to do, I just pulled what I had available in my fridge, another reason why having left overs is a great thing?! 

Now, I have only a basic idea of soup making, i.e. boil meat/meat bone until into releases its oils etc add vegetables, seasonings and soup mix and let it simmer until you get something smelling like your mom or grandma's. But I sure as hell was not gonna spoil my rest day by going through that helluva (read long) process, nor did I have the typical ingredients. So I just winged it like a hungry lazy person would do, short of ordering take out. I mean what's the worst that could happen huh? It turn out like slush or gumbo? Heck I've baked cookies, burnt them and STILL packed them up and traveled across seas with them for my 'post competition treat'. So I was willing to see this through.

Ingredients:
1 chorizo sausage
1/2 onion, chopped
1 medium sized carrot, peeled and cubed
 4-5 oz pre-baked and cooled pumpkin - I just scooped the pumpkin out of its skin
1/2 cup coconut milk + 1 cup water

Method:
1. In a stock pot or sauce pan, heat 2 tsp coconut oil and got chopped onions in there to sweat a bit, for about a minute or so. 
2. Add chopped chorizo and stir for about 1 minute before adding chopped carrots and pumpkin making sure to mash out pumpkin as much as possible. Add 1/2 cup water then cover pot and bring to a boil.
3. Mix remaining water with coconut milk, season with salt then add to pumpkin mixture. Stir to ensure milk is mixed in thoroughly then leave to simmer for another 4-5 minutes. Add chicken strips in the last minute before turning heat off.

Serve up with a salad or some crackers.




No comments:

Post a Comment