"Anyone who stops learning is old, whether twenty or eighty. Anyone who keeps learning stays young. The greatest thing you can do is keep your mind young."
Mark Twain
| Braised Tip Steak with Coconut Spinach Rice |
I'd like to think I'm keeping my mind young by reading books of varying kinds and always itching to learn something new. As I've found, just by trying something different opens up a whole new world of discovery even if the outcomes aren't the expected ones. It was my willingness to try something different that this recipe was born.
I recently discovered that I like spinach but only if cooked. As a result its been going in everything, and I mean whether scrambled eggs or smoothies, yep, its getting chopped up and tossed in. I also started using coconut milk, the canned one with coconut and water as the only ingredients, and found that it made everything creamier and was so versatile I wondered why I hadn't started using it before. Anyway, on this Sunday night when I felt like being all 'chef-like' I wanted some rice to go with my quick tip steak. But while sautéing it with the usual, onions, tomatoes and spices, a quick taste test resulted in a "this needs sump'n". A quick look in my fridge and I picked the only 2 things I had left in there, spinach and coconut cream (which is just the cream separated from the water) and literally just threw them in and voila!
Note: I measured nothing, just went by what amounts I felt like using.
Ingredients:
Cauliflower rice (see new method here)
Onions, diced
Tomatoes, chopped
Coconut oil
Mrs Dash
Spinach, chopped
Coconut cream
Method:
Add about a tablespoon of coconut oil to a medium hot skillet.
Add onions and sautee for a few seconds then add rice.
Let rice steam for a around 2 minutes
Then add spinach and just enough coconut cream to make it moist but not wet. Steam for an additional minute.
Serve with your choice of protein (here is braised tip steak) or eat by itself. It's just about the only time going back for a second pate of rice is a must!
No comments:
Post a Comment