Sunday, January 20, 2013

Blueberry Protein Ice Cream

Yes you read right! Ice cream! Now I used to enjoy ice cream but because of intolerances to cow's milk, that love was painfully curbed. Fast forward to a few days ago when I really felt for some ice cream and felt hopeful because of the alternatives I was now aware of. But being on a sugar detox, I had to get creative and come up with the best version I could without derailing my efforts. And this purple beauty is the result. A quick note: frozen fruits are the bomb! Green tipped bananas (not fully ripe ones) in particular, are amazing and are perfect for smoothies/shakes without the sugar content. 


Blueberry Protein Ice Cream


What you'll need:
Magic Bullet (you see how handy this gadget is? And the cup is portable too) or a reliable blender

Ingredients:
1/4 cup unsweetened frozen fruit - I chose blueberries (optional)
1/4 cup frozen green tipped banana 
1/4-1/2cup coconut cream (i.e. the cream off the top, of an unshaken can of coconut milk)
1-2 tbsp coconut milk or almond milk
1/2-1 scoop of protein powder
cinnamon (use as much as you want, I sure did)
1/2 tsp vanilla 

Method:
Place all ingredients in the blender and whip. You may need to stop and use a spoon to free up the blade a time or two. If your mixture is thick and soft-serve-ice-cream like top with slivered toasted almonds, dive right in and eat. If its too runny, pop in the freezer for 30 minutes or. If you do that though, you will lose the 'ice creamy' texture. There are ways to make that ice cream even via this method, but who's got time for that?! I'd rather invest in an ice cream maker!

No comments:

Post a Comment