Monday, March 11, 2013

Crossfit Games Workout 13.1 DONE!

Workout 13.1 in the books!
It is that time of year when athletes from around the world throw their hat into the ring to try and get to -what has become one of the most spectacular sporting events ever, The Crossfit Games. If you've never watched it, a simple you tube search will bring you up to speed, and if you have seen it you'll agree with me in saying "a nuh joke ting dat! These men and women are strong, fast, agile....heck you may as well call them superhuman, for all the stuff they do in a few days! AH...MAY...ZING!!!

The 'Open' is like the Hunger Games of tryouts with 5 weeks of predetermined workouts, which all entrants (worldwide) have to do and either submit a video or get their workouts judged at a Crossfit Affiliate. There are 4000+ affiliates worldwide and over 120,000 people have registered of which, yours truly is one, a fact I am quite proud of. But since we have no affiliate here, I have chosen to submit my videos. I don't know of any other person here (in Jamaica) doing it but if you are or know someone who is and happen to read this post, let me know pronto so we can rock it out together!  

The 1st workout, 13.1, was announced on Wednesday March 6 and you had until Sunday, March 10 5pm Pacific time (7pm Jamaica time) to submit your score and/or video. The workout was:

In 17 minutes do:
40 burpees
30 snatches @45lbs (women); 75lbs (men)
30 burpees
30 snatches @75lbs (women); 135lbs (men)
20 burpees
30 snacthes @100lbs (women); 165lbs (men)
10 burpees 
As many snatches as possible @ 120lbs (women); 210lbs (men) 

My score - 123 reps with a tie breaker time of 7:16. How is it scored? You just add the number of burpees and snatches you did in the 17 minutes. The tie breaker time is just that time when you completed your last set of snatches for the particular round. 


Workout done! I did my 17 minutes and got my score up on the board. THAT alone makes me super happy! I am stoked! Almost had a melt down when the darn video wouldn't load and I thought I would miss the deadline. But let me tell you what went through my head.


After I saw the demo on Wednesday my first thought was "what?? Burpees?? I'm so dead!" The fact that the person doing the demo was the 2012 Crossfit Games Champ and made it look easy didn't help. Sure it motivated you to want to get in and kill it but it didn't negate the fact that burpees are the sadistic cardio equivalent (saw that on a sticker)! You think burpees are easy? If you do, you've either never done them or are superhuman. Whichever it is, Kudos to you! But for the rest of us? BURPEES SUCK!! And I am being very diplomatic in stating that.

You can imagine the cuss words that were on my tongue when I got to 25 and my brain stopped counting and started focusing on sending air and whatever else to my lungs and legs to keep them functioning! It got worse when due to a miscommunication between myself and the person scoring for me, I just kept going. And that took every ounce of will power in me. I still don't recall even hearing stop I think I just did. But it turns outs that was an extra 12 or so burpees! Like seriously?!!! 12???!!! I I know my body knew the exact moment it hit the 40 because it just started to sputter like a car with busted gaskets going uphill. I couldn't get air in fast enough and I wanted to lie down right there. I started to think about the soles of my feet that were hurting, the sweat that was burning my eyes, the cough I suddenly had that wasn't there when I started and did I mention the feet that hurt? But realizing I still had those snatches to do made me shut those down right away.

I thought "no way am I going to quit only after that, those snatches are going to have to ring me out first!" Careful what you wish for because sure enough I started to see 'blinkie' after the first 10. Decided then to break them up into 10's so that I could get through especially since I was at the disadvantage of not having bumper plates (plates I could easily let go to bounce if I failed an attempt on the way up). That control just to put the bar down took the wind out of me not to mention waste time. So I get through those 30 snatches then realized...oh shit more burpees! I chose to go much slower on these and you best believe I counted them! But I still asked myself half way in, why I was doing this cause surely burpees are meant to kill! I hardly recall even walking over to start the second round of snatches which I had to break up into two's and three's. After a few misses and breaks, I found what I thought was a rhythm and saw the 30 in sight, only to hear the beep I was waiting for but ready for go off...Time! Out of breath and feeling like I'd soon be needing a new lung I asked for my score. 124 baaaabbeeeee!!! Couldn't be happier than I. Going in I had NO clue where I'd end up so to see I got through was a huge win!

Bummed that I didn't get the 30? Of course! Proud that I didn't quit? oh hell frickin yes! Looking forward to next workout? Definitely with goose pimply and nail biting anticipation! Afraid of what it will be? Not in the least? Why? Because I have no control over that, so whatever comes all I can do is pray and work to get through it. This is my first time doing this and while I am not expecting to crack world record type numbers here, I still want whatever I do be the very best of me. So let's see what evil to Crossfit HQ bosses come up with next. Stay tuned!

To see the full version of this video check out my youtube channel here.

No comments:

Post a Comment