So, it's St. Patrick's day but guess what, I am not Irish. So why is it even worth mentioning then Shanique? Well for one, I wore green today without even realizing what day it was until I saw the Irish/Irish-influenced friends making quite the fuss about it on Facebook and two, it has absolutely nothing to with the Crossfit workout I did this morning, which is the real reason I am making this post. And I wanted to make this post seem like I had more to tell you, when in fact I don't. Yea, I'm a fraud..sue me!
That said, St. Paddys day or not, it was the day to tackle the Crossfit Games Open workout 13.2. When the workout was announced on Wednesday, I didn't get that dreaded feeling I got when 13.1 came out. So I took this as a good sign. It meant, I'd likely have less nerves and more focus on getting the task done well. So much for that strategy for all the good it did me! It was still a complete wipeout! You wouldn't believe it was a 10 minute workout with the waterfall type beads of sweat running off me and the pig squealing sounds of breathlessness. So what caused all that?
As Many Rounds As Possible (AMRAP) in 10 minutes of:
5 Shoulder to Overhead @ 115lbs (Men)/75lbs (Women)
10 Deadlifts @ 115lbs (Men)/75lbs (Women)
15 Box Jumps @24" Box (Men)/ 20" Box (Women)
Results: 199 reps (i.e. 6 rounds + 5 Shoulder to Overhead + 10 Deadlifts + 4 Jumps)
Add all reps from each round to get the total of 199 reps.
Now my take on this...its doable. Even at those poundages I was a bit conservative, even in the breathless moments and as a result I took more breaks than I really needed to, which cost me some time. I also did jumps for ALL, forgetting that I could have done plain ole step ups instead! But with a few tips from watching this video those deadlifts didn't kill my back at all. Can't say the same for those box jumps though...quads were screaming on those! Ah well, whats done is done. Unlike 13.1, I can definitely say I'll be redoing this one very soon with a few adjustments, just to see if they make a difference.
Is this the kind of workout you can do? Think you can handle? I think so. This can easily be scaled to any level. If you've never done box jumps or any of the movements, practice with a 8-12" box and a broomstick and move from there. If you are familiar but aren't clear on where on the spectrum of fitness you are, start there as well and progress to a regular box and olympic bar. Additionally, there are many videos on youtube you can watch to see the technique and form. Do your homework first and check with your doctor before attempting. Now Go #GETAFTERIT!

No comments:
Post a Comment