Sunday, March 17, 2013

Biscuits Gone Wrong...OR Right?

As you may be able to tell, sweet potatoes are my all time favourite source of carbs. And since doing mostly gluten free, I find ways to use them...ALOT! So it comes as no surprise then that I always have some on hand in my fridge, either boiled and cubed or baked and mashed. At some point they will be used in something, from shakes to cupcakes.

So on a day like today after a blistering 10 minutes that was Crossfit Games Open Workout 13.2, these pre-prepped potatoes are a god send. And what better way than to celebrate with some pancakes. Of course I am the kind of person to jump into a recipe without checking if I have all ingredients, yea shocking I know, so the fact that I started making these and realized late that 1 ingredient wasn't enough did not deter me. No way was I about to dump my sweet potato so I made a decision to go ahead and bake them instead of using a skillet. And what a shocker that they came out looking like biscuits, grill marks and all and tasted pretty good.





What you'll need:
1 cup mashed baked potatoes (baked is better because it has less moisture)
2 egg whites
1 tbsp almond meal (original recipe calls for 1/4cup almond meal)
2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
1/2 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 baking sheet/tray
parchment paper

Method:
Using a mixer or wooden spoon, whisk egg whites and mashed potatoes until smooth.
Add meal, baking powder and milk and mix until thoroughly combined.
Using a 1/4 c spoon measure out pancake mixture (you may need to spread it) unto parchment lined baking tray (I got 6 pancakes) and bake for 6 minutes before turning over on the other side.

Serve with your favourite protein and enjoy.

Nutrition per biscuit - app~ 5g carbs, 2g protein, 1.3g fat

No comments:

Post a Comment