Friday, March 22, 2013

I Love My Fear

For those who've been following, you know this week Crossfit Games Open workout 13.3 is up for domination. Well...after its announcement on Wednesday, I am 100% certain that domination will take place. Question is, will it be it over me or vice versa? 

I follow Crossfit 7Mile, a Crossfit affiliate out of Grand Cayman, on Facebook and they asked on Tuesday on their page, what we thought 13.3 was going to be. I posted "1 or a combination of wall balls, double unders and muscle ups". Little did I know that that's exactly what would be announced as the third workout, on Wednesday night. Interestingly enough, I had jokingly posted that not because I was saying "bring it on", rather I put in full view the combination of exercises I feared. To make that fear even worse the workout calls for as many rounds as possible of 150 wall balls, 90 double unders and 30 muscle ups in 12 minutes (see demo here). Like seriously?? How do they come up with this stuff?!! Its like somebody just sits down and says ok how can we f#$% people up with this workout today! Incidentally, this is a repeat of last year's 4th workout (12.4).

Anyway, once I saw that workout the fear got worse. In addition, not being able to find a 14lb medicine ball, a pair of gymnastic rings or a space high enough to either hang any makeshift rings or set a 9 foot target (for wall balls), made me a little sad(ish) and even think "I may not submit video for this week's workout". That I actually harboured thoughts of forfeiting the workout without giving it a try all because I didn't have the standard equipment was shocking. But then today it served to just piss me off! That is so not who I am. I'm more of a 'do your best to leave no stone unturned' kind of person and was grateful for the reminder of this by my Instagram friend Nikia Dyson (this gal makes THE MOST mouth watering looking healthy foods on the planet) who's motivation for today was: "A person who doubts himself is like a man who would enlist in the ranks of his enemies and bear arms against himself. He makes his failure certain by himself being the first person to be convinced of it." ~ Alexandre Dumas

This definitely hit home and forced me to examine my actions. And truth was, I gave up before I even started. I didn't like that about myself and decided that I would do everything possible to see it through no matter the outcome. As a result I emailed the games support asking about the use of makeshift equipment in the absence of the standard ones. Until I hear from them, workout 13.3 will remain  untouched and I'll continue about getting said 'makeshift' equipment ready. On the upside, I did use today to work on double unders using a speed rope and what a difference that makes! OMG! I didn't know I could string so many together at once, and the more I practiced is the better it became. How cool is that?!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment