Friday, April 5, 2013

Jamaican Fish Patty - The Paleo Way

I'm usually delayed or lazy in putting up a blog post or a recipe and for the 1 or 2 people who read this blog (thank you btw) that must be really annoying. But there comes a time when things happen and you just want to share it immediately you forget about being lazy. Today, is one of those days. I recently started following the Facebook page My Paleo Life, thanks to another page I follow, Just Eat Real Food, and was surprised to see a post on Jamaican Beef Patties. I thought to myself, what the heck does this dude know about a Jamaican patty to be even calling what he's making that eh? You know how we Jamaicans are, very territorial and defensive the moment we hear or see something being 'branded' Jamaican. Nevertheless, I checked it out, largely because I was curious how he made this Paleo. If you are not familiar with the Paleolithic way of eating, you should look into it (here) if for no other reason than to understand why I mention it here.


Anyway, I check this out and after reading it decided that this dude was a genius! Whether he came up with the use of the dough 'ingredient' originally or not, Brock Brown gave me a new lease on eating a food I love in a healthier fashion without loss of flavour or the fullness factor. Now talk about exciting stuff!!! So enough of the chatter, grab the stuff you'll need (make subs as you see fit) and give this a whirl! I'm glad I finally did!


What you'll need:
-Baking/Cookie sheet
-Parchment Paper/Aluminum foil
- Rolling pin (or rum/wine bottle if you don't have one)

Dough Ingredients (I used 1/2 what the original recipe called for)
2 Green Plantains (I used 1 green + 1 semi-ripe)
1 egg

Filling Ingredients (Original recipe called for Ground Beef)
*you can use whatever substitute for 'meat' you wish or make it totally vegan using veggies. This filling will be more than is needed for the amount of dough unless you double dough ingredients as the original recipe has it.

1-2 tbsp fat of choice (I used coconut oil)
2 Frozen fish patty (6oz), cubed
1/2 chorizo sausage (1oz), chopped
2 tbsp yellow onions, chopped
2 tbsp green onions (scallions), chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Mrs dash
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup frozen or fresh Pak Choi


Method
To make dough:
Cut up Green Plantains into chunks (skin on) and boil or steam (in a double steamer pot) until tender.
Once cooked, drain then remove skins and place in a food processor with egg. Mix until a ball of dough forms. *Its best to let the plantains cool for a few minutes before adding the egg so as not to end up with plantain & scrambled eggs.
Cut into 5 equal parts, rest on a plate or baking sheet and set aside.

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.

To make filling:
Heat skillet, add oil, fish and chorizo.
Sauté for 1-2 minutes before adding everything else except the pak choi, and let cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Add Pak Choi to fish, cover and let sit for another 1-2 minutes before turning heat off.


Using a single sheet of parchment paper, take a piece of the dough, flatten and place near one end, leave up to 2" of space.
Fold the other end of parchment on top of it and use roller to make pie 1/8 - 1/4" thick. Unfold parchment, and heap 1-2 tsp of filling in the middle of pie.
Fold dough over filling, pulling away parchment paper, so the ends meet to form a semi-circle. Pinch ends together to make a seal. Do this for all 5 pieces.
Place on parchment/foil lined sheet and bake for 25-35 minutes.


This is such a versatile recipe, you can experiment with anything you wish. Chicken, beef, sausage or any assortment of vegetables (carrots, cabbage, pak choi) and other foods (boiled ripe plantain). Now Go Be Epic!






No comments:

Post a Comment