Thursday, April 4, 2013

Oven Baked Zucchini Chips

How simple it would be if you could just press a button and get a real healthy meal or snack, kinda like in a vending machine? I'm surprised there actually isn't a healthy snack vending machine, at least one that I know of, somewhere. Maybe I should look into its invention? hmmm, now there's a thought! What do you think? No, seriously, I really want to know. Don't just leave me hanging please.

So until you do, here's the real reason for this post. These bad boys here, 'Zucchini Chips'. I have been in search of the best way to make these things without them going soggy and wilting 2 mins after they go in the oven or deep frying them in a ton load of grease, with not much luck. So, I gave up and been going on my merry way, delving into other things, some of which have failed miserably while others have survived the picky-me test. But you know it's usually when you stop looking for something that you find it or it finds you right? So it was with this recipe. I was busy making some almond meal (recipe also here somewhere) for use later, and had the bigger chunks left in the sieve, and being lazy me, I was not interested in running them through the blender/sieve process again, so I chucked them in a separate container, saying i'll find use for them later, "now what's for breakfast?" I went for the zucchini to make a scrambled eggs & veggie medley and then it hit me. Zucchini + coarse almond meal + egg whites is bound to turn out something good. And Voila!


What you'll need:
- Baking Sheet
- Parchment Paper

Ingredients
1/2 a medium zucchini (sliced into rounds or long strips)
1/4-1/3 cup coarse almond meal
1 egg, whisked

Method:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or aluminium foil)
Place egg in a bowl and meal in another.
Dip rounds first into egg then into the almond meal making sure to cover both sides.
Arrange on baking sheet
Bake for 8-10 minutes to keep crunchy.
Remove and enjoy while hot, just don't burn yourself.

These are best enjoyed in short order and not likely to stor very well as they eventually lose the crunchy texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment