Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Things Your Kids Could Teach You About Being Fit

Excerpt from an article I contributed on Caribbean Accents

Being asked, “How FIT are you?” is one of those questions that can elicit such fear and anxiety in many, you may as well have asked, “What colour is your pee?” Well, that is more likely to get you a tump* in the face than anything else, but it illustrates the point that it’s an intrusive question. And depending on the questioner’s understanding of what being ‘fit’ means, the answers will vary from, “Well, I’m not as fit as [fill in appropriate star athlete's name here]” to, “I’m fit enough; why do you ask?”
Answers such as these further highlight the fact that people will define their “fitness levels” either according to some comparable basis, usually of themselves against someone else, or based on a mainstream definition that puts people on a spectrum of some sort. It is very rare that people will compare themselves to … well, themselves: their past versus their present selves.
And therein lies the crux of the matter...
To see finished article, read here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment