![]() |
| Jamaican Pumpkin |
No I am not coming up with a new drink...I wish! But the above title does describe exactly what you would call my affair with pumpkin these days. I absolutely LOVE me some pumpkin. And unlike previous years where I would only give it the cursory boil or steam and eat it dry, these days I have ventured into a new world, and have been amazed at just how versatile, not to mention tasty pumpkin is.
Unlike in the US where you see an abundance of pumpkin, in different varieties, only during the 'fall', here in Jamaica it can be found year round whether in the farmers' markets or your neighbour's garden. I recall my mom having a pumpkin vine in our backyard, and how she would treat that patch like her prized possession. Well...NOW I completely understand why!
It is a vegetable that we Jamaicans see as 'ground provision', naturally because it came from the ground, and use it as 'starch' accompaniment with a wide variety of dishes/meats. But little do most people know that it is in fact a low calorie vegetable rich in vital anti-oxidants and vitamins. I'd wager and say that it is one of the healthiest vegetables we have available to us, the benefits of which are unending. However, in the interest of keeping this post 'short' here are the top 6 benefits*.
![]() |
| Pumpkin on a vine |
High in Fiber
You won't find a more fiber rich food than you will in pumpkins. This super food effectively treats gastrointestinal disorders like indigestion, irritable bowel syndrome and constipation.
Loaded with anti-oxidants
Pumpkins are full of many antioxidant vitamins such as A, C and E that keep our bodies healthy by shoring up our immune system, maintaining healthy skin and eyesight and protecting against lung and oral cavity cancers. It contains Zea-xanthin, a natural anti-oxidant, which helps protect the elderly from 'age-related macular disease'.
Low in calories
It is one of the very low calorie vegetables with only 26 calories in 100g and with no cholesterol or saturated fats helps lower LDL (bad) cholesterol.
Rich in Minerals
Besides vitamins A, E & C, pumpkins are a good source of other essential vitamins and minerals including the B-complex group of vitamin B6, niacin, thiamin and folates; and copper, calcium, magnesium, potassium and phosphorus.
Pumpkin Seeds High In Protein
The seeds from the pumpkin make not only an excellent source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids, which are great for heart health, but they contain high levels of easily digestible protein which, when eaten as a snack, helps keep blood sugar levels stable.
Now, the next time you head to the grocer's or farmers' market, make sure you pick up some pumpkin. Use it in muffins (healthy one's of course), smoothies, drinks, soups, even to make the crust for pizza (check back soon for recipe) and see just how much you improve the 'fun' and 'fit-factor' of your meals.


No comments:
Post a Comment