Friday, January 11, 2013

When Things Get Rough, Laugh


EmbraceyouALLofyou
Wait...its Jan 11...already? That means it is Day 11 of my 21 Day Sugar Detox. I am not going to say its been easy, heck no! On the contrary things have happened in the last five days that would throw any human being side ways let alone stay on track. Ok...so I exaggerated a little. Its really only one MAJOR thing but it was enough to throw a monkey wrench in my endorphin-laced good mood. Sure my week was off to a smashing start: new year's resolutioners in the gym = jam-packed classes, client roster back into a groove = busy days and great meals = great workouts. But nothing like an accident with a motorcycle rider who drives off leaving your recently repainted brand new looking car banged up to put you in a funk...a pissed off funk at that!
And there is nothing like a stressful situation to trigger cravings! Oh dear lord, I won't lie for about 1 minute on Tuesday (day of the accident) I forgot I was on a detox let alone that I was late and would likely miss my next client meeting. And it was in THAT very minute where I realized I had not eaten a thing all that morning, that the hunger, lightheadedness and thirst hit! Of course realizing that this accident happened in the EXACT same place as the 1st one last year didn't help. But rather than crying I found myself laughing especially when I watched the motorcyclist drive off in a hurry when asked for his documents so we could exchange info. Like seriously...who does that???
So what does one do when thrown off their happy trail? Eat chocolate! Ok, I'm only kidding but I did think about it. Instead I got back on my happy trail. That meant getting a big mornng meal, of what, I can't remember, but I know I posted it on instagram. Wait...that's where I post ALL my meals these days so I guess if I go and check I'll remember. Anyway, where was I? Oh yes...happy trail! Planned the rest of my week of classes and client sessions, got busy finishing proposals, made a few 21DSD friendly treats, all of which included pumpkin with which I have a teeny bitsy obsession much like nut butters and awaited the much anticipated return of my new guilty tv pleasure, ABC's Scandal. That show is hot!!!
On a serious note though, at Day 11 on this reset, a few things jump at me which I feel compelled to share, especially since its something I try to impart to clients/students when it comes to being consistent.
its not about perfect
  1. Being consistent means, getting into a rhythm, finding a groove ,where things move seamlessly or at the very least happen without adversely affecting your life. This will not happen immediately, it may take a few days, weeks or even months, but when you find it you will know.
  2. Being consistent means being prepared for those things that can come unexpectedly. As a result you are either quick to find an alternative or you roll with the unexpected without letting it destroy or sabotage your program.
  3. Being consistent means knowing that taking small steps are just as, if not even more, important than the big ones. So being patient and never giving up are paramount.
  4.  Being consistent does NOT mean boring nor bland. Instead, it means being able to recognize when changes are needed and make the decisions that will improve, spice up and elicit new and exciting results. It means being aware of yourself (inside and out) and the environment in which you function (in places and around your friends, family etc) on a daily basis.
  5. Being consistent means you relentlessly wanting to change something (in your life in particular) and being wiling to be uncomfortable, even for a short time, to achieve it. It means sometimes doing things you've never done before and stepping out of one's 'box of comforts' to get to where you've never gone before.
  6. Being consistent means making NO excuses.
I imagine these can be applied to anything in life! But for those who have challenges with sticking to a fit program or eating healthy or spending more time with family, these pointers may be a good reference point. At least, I hope they are. It doesn't mean that there aren't other ways to consistency and what it means. After all, we all have different experiences. How do you define it and what has been your experience? Please share, I most definitely would love to hear!




No comments:

Post a Comment